quarta-feira, 23 de julho de 2008

As usual with the shrink appointments I really don't feel like going, the last one actually took a different course...
After upping the meds again, we started talking about comics and the occult. Now, first off, I put the comics bug in him, and, I hope, he'll have read Watchmen by the time of the next appointment.
However, the bit about occult was the most interesting turn. You see, I've never felt comfortable enough to start going on about my beliefs, especially to people with a scientific background. I do know it's prejudice, but I just felt ridiculous talking to either my shrink or psychologist about Paganism or Cerimonial Magick. So imagine my surprise when he starts talking about it!
In a nutshell, we just got around the same old debate. If occult phenomena can be scientifically explained, will they be any less "magickal"? For instance, I'm aware that a tarot spread, at least for me, doesn't work on its own, but rather works as a mirror to the self, that allows me to take bird-eye views about certain aspects. Will that awareness make it work any less? It's in the fact that such a symbolic structure can adapt to the way each mind works that its magick relies. In the end, it was nice to see that a "science-person" and, on the other hand, someone else who's a little anti-scientific, agreed on great the psychological side of occult really is. Because even though I suggested myself into believing something, and although I am aware my mind worked its way like that, there's still magick in it, there's still a certain degree of mysticism behind it, not because there could be something else (that's another story...), but because it's amazing the fact that people can influence themselves on a subconscious level like that.
So, all in all, I'd say it went rather well. Too bad today's psychologist day...

Sem comentários: